Today’s Quattrone Center podcast with Itiel Dror, Brandon Garrett and Maneka Sinha reveals recent complaints leveled at Dror by @theNAME1996 forensic pathologists demanding retraction and his dismissal from UCL. His recent article on ME bias has hit a big nerve. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1556-4029.14697
Their discussion centered on the arena of forensic expertise in criminal courts. The topics include:
1. Poor financial support allowing defense experts to explain weaknesses in prosecutors’ arguments.
2. 95% of cases being plea bargained without forensic review.
3. Poor regulation of some forensic disciplines.
4. Error rate statements (if available) that are overstated, flawed and misleading.
5. Self-professed experts lacking data and proficiency review.
6. The “own bias blindspot” seen in forensics. (Read the above article on cognitive bias).
7. Anti-science backlash in police controlled forensics.
The podcast will be posted on The Quattrone Center’s archive at https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR5Q3wC5nyVkVC9R4yP4lV3N5wvJLmO7z